A Tribute To Heather series
A Tribute to Heather consists of ten compositions created by embedding a single animated GIF in a website hundreds of times to produce a rich tapestry of color and motion. The URL of each composition serves as its title, describing the repeated animation and the background color. Because file load times vary every time a One Gif Composition website is accessed, each viewing is unique.
The animations in A Tribute to Heather were sourced from Heathers Animations, a sprawling hand-coded archive of 90s-era animated GIFs and background images operated by its elusive namesake, Heather. Founded in 1999, the site maintains the ethos of the early web, eschewing author attribution and copyright concerns to offer a wandering taxonomy of thousands of downloadable images.
— Museum of Moving Image
Commissioned by The Museum of Moving Image.
- Alingsas Konsthallen, SNEL HEST, Alingsas, Sweden, 2014
- Carroll Fletcher Gallery, Unoriginal Genius, London, UK, 2014
- Museum of Moving Image, A Tribute to Heather, New York City, USA, 2013
- fighterjet-on-lightcyan.com (website)
- deer-on-silver.com (website)
- email-on-floralwhite.com (website)
- flower-on-lightgrey.com (website)
- heather-on-cyan.com (website)
- hotairballoon-on-whitesmoke.com (website)
- keyboard-on-deeppink.com (website)
- revolver-on-mintcream.com (website)
- shuttle-on-dodgerblue.com (website)
- blimp-on-deepskyblue.com (website)
- Screen recording documentation (screen capture video from 2016)